Old June 3rd 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default New Newsgroup

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 23:23:44 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Frosty
wrote:

I sent a "control post" as one must to create a newsgroup.

While in theory, this is all that's needed to create an Alt newsgroup, now your
task is to convince news administrators to carry it on their servers. That's
the hard part. You may need to send that control message several times. And it
will help (perhaps a lot, from what I've read) to also propose/defend/justify
the proposed new group on alt.config (I think that's the one. do some homework
to be sure...) Also, if you can find public news servers (not just your own, if
you have one) who have picked it up, be sure messages to that group get posted
there. it will help in convincing other news admins that there is indeed
traffic, and therefor some reason to get off their butts and add the group.

Although no formal vote or similar structured creation process is needed in the
Alt heirarchy, you still have to jump through the human loops of getting news
admins, often overworked and sometimes underskilled people, to get on board.
It's not as automatic as one might wish.

You are aware, I'm sure, that there are already a few somewhat related groups,
such as pdaxs.ads.jewelry, alt.diamonds and alt.diamonds.marketplace,
alt.folklore.gemstones, free.uk.jewelry, and perhaps others I'm not awareof,
for which jewelry related postings are on topic. And of course, though it's not
jewelry specific, there's also both the big eight version and the alt version of
rec.crafts.metalworking, one of the busier and more useful newsgroups outthere
(well worth your time, folks, if you've not found it before. Someone even set
up a web site for it. Lots of home shop machinists, but also many more skill
sets to be found there...)

peter