Old June 3rd 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default New Newsgroup

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:54:42 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Marilee J. Layman"
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:18:02 GMT, Frosty wrote:

Please forgive the X-post, but trying to get this new newsgroup
working.
It's not that I don't like your newsgroup, actually its very
interesting.
I just think there oughta be an unmoderated one as well.
It's just the rebel/anarchist in me.

Thanx!

Frosty
SilverMan
--

Real debate; No bull****.

That's not a newsgroup. That's a web board run by Yahoo.

Yes, and that board's mention is merely part of his sig file. I think what he's
referring to was the other newsgroup to which the post was, as suggested by his
first sentence, cross posted to, alt.rec.crafts.jewelry.

I haven't checked to see whether there is in fact such a group, and wonder what
steps the poster has taken to get one established. Alt groups are easierto get
started than groups in the big eight hierarchies, but it takes certain formal
steps to do. And then, presumably, one needs people to take advantage ofit in
order for it to amount to anything useful.

In the case of this alt group, if it becomes established and known, it might be
useful, or might suffer the fate this group seemed headed for when users voted
to have it converted into a moderated group back in '97, and that was an ever
increasing flood of advertising. Back then, ebay wasn't what it is now, and
I'll bet if this alt group does indeed get established, it will quickly become
little more than an advertising board for ebay ads. or maybe not. perhaps
I'm being too much of a cynic.

cheers

Peter