Old August 26th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Best batting for baby quilt - polyester or cotton

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:
Hi all

I really need your help here - I am out of my depth. Very good friend has
just become a grandmother and asked me to make a baby quilt for her new
grandson. Now, babies - let alone baby quilts - are not my favourite
things - so I am swimming in deep water vbg.

I have made what is probably a totally unsuitable top (hoffman panel with
bears and ducks and other stuff) and made it a bit larger with a final
border of scrapy four patches. The back is my interpretation of a baby quilt
12 x 14 3" rail fence blocks in barn-raising layout in shades of blue yellow
and turqoise with a large turqoise border around the outside to make is the
same size (more or less) as the front.

Now to my question:

Is cotton or poly batt better - and why?

I have both and don't quite know what to do next. The quilt will be used in
England if temparatures make a difference.

Help ....

Sounds lovely. I'm in the middle of baby quilts too (unfortunately also
for other people's grandchildren!) and I've used cotton batting. I chose it:

1. Because can be well washed at whatever temperature the Mum chooses
(though I do put a 'Care label' on saying the quilt has already been
washed at 40degrees, delicate wash with a Silk/Wool detergent.
2. If she decides to give it a good ironing it will survive!
3. Nice natural charateristics - I like to sleep under unmanmade bedding.
3. I like using it - don't enjoy quilting poly!

I don't think temperature would be an issue - houses are centrally
heated anyway, and the days of frosting on the inside are long gone,
thank goodness.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk