Old June 30th 04, 02:07 PM
Roberta Zollner

This is actually an interesting issue. Yesterday I listened to a lecture by
a German political scientist on American-European perceptions of each other
and the feeling in the rest of the planet that American culture (or lack
thereof) is taking over. After pointing out that nobody twists any arms to
force anybody to eat disgusting junk food or watch brainless action movies,
he said that a large percentage of today's classical music performers and
literature writers come from the U.S. And one reason we have so many
American writers, he said, was because university students are taught to
write. European universities apparently assume their students already know
how. But I have large doubts about this statement!
Roberta in D

"Kristen L. Renneker" wrote in message
Sorry...

It's me being lazy. Half the time I go back and fix them, often I don't
think of it. I never took any typing courses and so there was never

anything
drilled into me in that regards. so, when I'm typing, the shift key is not
natural. If i'm posting on a message board that has a preview screen I'm
more likely to go back and fix them, because I do see how bad it
looks...here I usually just type a message out quickly and hit send.

Though
I've read that in handwriting the use of a lowercase "i" is a sign of low
self esteem...wonder if it works the same way in typing? g

I know what you mean about not being to pay attention to the content of a
post because of some grammatical/style issue of the writer. My issue is

with
people who can't spell...I mean truly can't spell and don't use
spellcheck...or they don't know the difference between sight/site...
there/their/they're... weather/whether...where/wear/we're. I've seen some
convoluted sentences, no punctuation, etc. and it drives me nuts.

I try to keep my posts coherent (though last night I had already had a
couple of cocktails but that capital "I" is one that usually slips

right
by me.

So, there's my confession...I can admit when I'm wrong I promise I'll
make more of an effort G

Kristen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
Kristen, there's a deeply imbedded proof-reader strain in me. It was

scared
into me by a terrifying 9th grade typing teacher and got worse over the
years. If it is not terribly rude of me to ask, why do your posts ignore

the
capital " I "? If this is something young people do and I'm just not

"with
it", I really will try to adjust. It is so hard for me to pay attention

what you're saying when some of my brain is wanting to hit the backup

key.
Please bring me (gently) up to date. If I can learn to send email and
operate the coffee pot, maybe I can understand. I truly mean to ask

this
sweetly, I just am without a clue. Polly

"Kristen L. Renneker" wrote:

ok...i know after i post this i'll google and find what i'm looking

for,
but
here it goes...

I need a large amount of rainbow variegated thread...i've only ever

seen
it
on relatively small spools, but i know i'll need a lot to finish

this
project, so i'm hoping to get a cone, figuring it will be cheaper

than
buing
many small spools.

have any of you seen such an animal?

wow! that was quick...and perfect!!! thanks a lot!!!!

kristen