Old January 29th 04, 01:29 PM
Bob Masta

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:01:10 -0500, Lindsay MacArthur
wrote:

I mainly make functional stoneware pieces fired to ^6 in an electric
kiln. I want to experiment with some fun textering and embedding and
was looking for ideas. For example, I know a potter who occasionally
fires some pieces wrapped in gauze and has even done a couple of
pieces where she wrapped slip dipped gauze around a balloon, popped
the balloon when slip was dry and fired the piece like that.

So, if you have any fun ideas please share :-)

LMac

The latest Ceramics Monthly (Feb 2004) has some
gorgeous texture pieces by Daphne Hatcher. She
takes slabs of clay into the woods near her studio
and presses them onto tree bark, then hand-builds
with them.

I've actually been thinking about something like this
for quite a while. I want to get impressions from
trees that are not nearby, and would require hiking
to get to them, but I haven't decided on the best way
to do this. I'm thinking of something like thin plastic
freezer containers that would fit into a backpack,
each one holding a slab of clay, or maybe a couple
separated by something soft.

Then when I get home, the clay patterns could be
copied in plaster for transfer to other pieces.
Or maybe wrap the clay around a drum to make
a big roulette. Or bisque it and use for sprig
molding the texture as a thin sheet that could
be applied to something else. Lots of
possibilities, once the texture itself is handy.

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis