Old October 21st 09, 08:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

Default Attn: Mirjam ....

"Olwyn.Mary" wrote in message
Murielle wrote:
Hi Mirjam,

I hope you are well, and enjoying nice weather. I have a bit of a
problem and thought if anyone I know could help me solve it, it would be
you.

A couple of weeks ago it was quite chilly here and I recalled a shawl my
mother had knitted for me about twenty years ago. I wasn't sure if I
still had it, but I do!

Anyway, when I brought it down from the top of the cupboard it was hard
to unfold because the fibers seemed to be sticking to one another. I
washed it, then re-washed it with some baking soda in the water. It's
still sticking to itself.

Have you ever heard of this? Do you have any idea how I can restore the
shawl. It's really lovely and I would love to be able to use it, again.

Thanks,
Murielle

I'm not Mirjam, but I have a couple of suggestions. You might try either
hair conditioner or fabric softener. Personally, I would try the
conditioner first, but it is your shawl.

It is pretty dry. Especially after two washes in the machine and once in
the dryer.

I'm flummoxed.

Murielle
Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.