Old February 4th 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Default OK - time for a round of WHAT ARE YOU STITCHING

yup, plain ol' cheap gift-wrap tissue paper..... the thinner, the
better

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:15:25 -0500, "KT in Mich"
wrote:

Thanks Fran, I'm going to give tissue paper a try. You are talking about
gift-wrapping tissue and not the kind you blow your nose on, right???

"Fran" wrote in message
.. .
It's very easy to remove. I would run the eye of a needle along the
stitch lines to score the paper after stitching and just tear it out.
The thinner the tissue paper, the better - as it makes it easier to
trace the master pattern and easier to tear. I found it best to pin
the paper closely while stitching to prevent wrinkles and any possible
movement as you stiched.

I was doing a celtic knot pattern that repeated itself 5 times the
length of the quilt, and so had lines going in parallels in all
directions that had to match up with the previous knot. If I just did
the corners, the paper shifted and the lines didn't line up, so I
wound up with pins every 5 inches or so.

It also helped to pin the entire length at the same time before
stating stitching. That way I could make sure everything lined up and
was still straight on the cloth.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:22:27 -0500, "KT in Mich"
wrote:

Thanks Fran,
Never thought to try tissue paper! Is it easy to remove later???
Quilting the pattern through the Golden Threads worked pretty well and the
paper tore off very easily with very little clean-up. I used small
applique
pins to hold the paper down to the fabric. Didn't care for that as it
makes
the paper all bumpy. Have just learned that there is a temporary spray
that
can be used to hold it down so may try that next time. Also some gummy
dots
made by 3M which stick to the paper and fabric but separates from the
fabric
without leaving residue. Two other ways I want to try include using
either
Sulky Heat Away Clear Film which I saw on Fons & Porter's show today; and
Sulky Paper Solvy which is a water soluble stabilizer. Going to depend on
how pricey this stuff is.

"Fran" wrote in message
Have never used that paper, but have done precisely that using the
cheapest tissue paper I could find. Quilted an entire queen-size
piece that way and it worked like a charm. Best advise is this - if
you are repeating the quilting pattern againa nd again, make a master
copy on something like drawing paper or graph paper, color it very
dark, then use it to make all the copies you need. I think I had
something like 20 copies of the pattern for the entire quilt that I
worked my way thru.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:22:54 -0500, "KT in Mich"
wrote:

So now I've
put the needle-punched Golden Threads paper back on and will be quilting
thru that. Gonna try in on a sandwich first to see if it rips off like
the
ads say. Wish me luck! Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!

KT. in MI