Old May 26th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default Silver supplier question

William Black wrote:
"Mr G H Ireland" wrote in message
In article , "William Black"
wrote
:
a lump of 22 carat gold that was about an inch square
and two feet long.

I estimate that it would weigh about 600 lbs! He must have been quite
stong!

Looked about 15 Kg to me.

Last time I checked the stuff was about 20gm per cubic centimeter.

Working it out it's 2.54x2.54x 66, which is about 425 cubic centimetres,
which is about 8500 gm.

If you reckon it weighed 600lbs I want to sell you some gold, by volume...

2 feet is 60.96 cm, not 66 cm. And your choice for the specific gravity
of 22K gold is a bit high, since the s.g. fine gold is only 19.32.

Other than that, your calculation is a lot more accurate to what the
actual weight is, than 600 lb.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com