Old July 11th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

Default Moth help!

Lavender helps.
Cedar oil helps.

Keep in a tightly closed chest with sachets of lavender near any openings.
I use lots of cedar balls, which I renew each spring by soaking them in a
plastic bag with some cedar oil for a few days. Then put them into old
socks which I lay along the front of the closets and hang around the
closets.

Precious wool can also be place in a tightly woven bag of linen or nylon.
The bag should be hung in a bright an airy place such as an attack. This is
how the old timers kept their wool from spring shearing to late fall when
they had time to spin. Wool cloth was also kept in the linen bags hanging
in the attic until it was needed.

I put a little lavender oil in my rinse water when I am washing wool, and
have not had any loses since I started that program. (Of course I also go
through half an once of cedar oil each year.)

Aaron.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Today I took out a shawl which a daughter knitted for me some years ago
from her own spun Hebridean black wool from the two Heb ewe lambs I gave
her. She'd chosen the stitch 'candlelight' because I made beeswax candles.

It had huge holes in it and it's unsalvageable.

Does anyone know of any home moth-proofing system?

Obviously it will be for future items but we'd hate it to happen again.
We're both very unhappy (Spouse and I - I haven't told daughter yet).

Mary