Old July 5th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Default Moth help!

spampot wrote:
I've also read that a light sanding to raise the grain of the cedar can
help bring out more of the moth-repelling oil in it. I'm lucky enough
to have my late grandmother's cedar chest from her wedding in 1926,
which isn't just lined with cedar; it's solid cedar.

Be very careful how you store stuff in there. For instance, old linens
and light colored woollens should be double wrapped in acid-free paper
so as not to be stained by the cedar oil. Some folk who thought they
were being so good for having things in cedar chests have been horrified
when they pulled out their antique textiles.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.