Old November 24th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Default Mechanical fastener to replace zip.

john eastt wrote:
I wish to replace a zip on the front of a pair of men's
trousers. It is beyond my skills to sew in a new zip.

Really?
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...ipper/page/all

It's not nuclear surgery. ;-

The trousers are quite old so its not worth spending a
lot of money on them, but they still have some life in
them and are very comfortable.
I have tried sewing in some metal press studs, but they
seem to quickly become unstitched.

Are there any press studs or some mechanical fastening of
any kind that might be suitable and that i could install
without having to do sewing please. Grateful for any
advice. Thanks.

These are applied with a special tool and hammer:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Heavy-Du...2160491&sr=8-3

You can also buy the Dritz pliers tool for installing the
heavy duty snaps:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Heavy-Du...2160491&sr=8-2

You can find them at JoAnns Fabrics.

HTH, NAYY,