Old May 9th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery

Default Anyone building their own kilns?

On Apr 26, 5:29 pm, nJb wrote:
Byrd wrote:
I am trying to get started doing some glass and pottery crafting. I am
having to do it on my own and with the aid of some books. I live 150 mi
from the nearest school with any similar art programs and probably couldn't
afford the tuition if it was next store, we're barely affording keeping the
daughter in.

I was interested in a large Bell style kiln but there's no way in hell I can
afford to buy one, unless maybe someone knows of a benefactor with deep
pockets who would take pity on 50 something, gimpy old man (chuckle). Has
anyone built their own and how hard is it?

I have ordered a book by Halem, there is supposed to be some good
information in it.

I need my kiln to be wheelchair friendly and was wanting to have two rolling
tables (also wheelchair accessible) so I could be loading / unloading one
while the other was firing. I was thinking about a convertible kiln, ie; a
3' x 6' x 2' but I had the idea to maybe section it so I could isolate half
of it for smaller firings. and also lower it down a little farther if I
don't need the depth/height.

I was given an 18" old (50's maybe) ceramic kiln that I would like to use
for some glass and pottery as well. It just basically a 3 position switch
which controls the 2 elements. I can't find any info on it. but I was
wondering what was available as far as kiln programmers are available.

I have 3 old dos and win98 machines and was wondering if anyone ever tried
to use a PC as a kiln controller? ...... and what else would be needed.
Are there any resources (websites, books, etc) that tackle this sort of
thing?

Thanks,
Byrd

A PC is not reliable for controlling a kiln. An industrial grade
temperature controller with ramp/soak functions is what you need. Add a
solid state relay, a thermocouple, a mechanical contactor, and some wire
and you have a good controller. $300.

I built my own 3'x5'x1' bell kiln for $2200 including the controller.

http://tinyurl.com/29bdav

The best website for glass kiln working iswww.warmglass.com

nJB, what you really mean is that a computer is incomplete. It's
perfectly suitable for controlling temperature change over time. You
just need the ancillary hardware you mention and some software. Which
is exactly what you get when you buy an off the shelf kiln computer.

Jack, I built my own electric kiln. Very different from what you're
interested in, but doubtless you'll still find some usefull
information. I diarized the entire project he http://www.m2crafts.ca/kiln.html
As for controlling it. I power pairs of serial wired elements with
infinite switches similar to electric range switches. The switches
have stops at seven intervals. I wrote myself a very simple computer
program that allows me to enter the current temperature of the kiln
and plots the change against a desired curve. It allows me to know
how/when to change the power to the elements. Since I'm unwilling to
leave the kiln alone for an entire firing I don't see the point in
having the computer do more than that.

Best regards,

Mark.