Old April 27th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
nJb

Default Anyone building their own kilns?

Byrd wrote:
I am trying to get started doing some glass and pottery crafting. I am
having to do it on my own and with the aid of some books. I live 150 mi
from the nearest school with any similar art programs and probably couldn't
afford the tuition if it was next store, we're barely affording keeping the
daughter in.

I was interested in a large Bell style kiln but there's no way in hell I can
afford to buy one, unless maybe someone knows of a benefactor with deep
pockets who would take pity on 50 something, gimpy old man (chuckle). Has
anyone built their own and how hard is it?

I have ordered a book by Halem, there is supposed to be some good
information in it.

I need my kiln to be wheelchair friendly and was wanting to have two rolling
tables (also wheelchair accessible) so I could be loading / unloading one
while the other was firing. I was thinking about a convertible kiln, ie; a
3' x 6' x 2' but I had the idea to maybe section it so I could isolate half
of it for smaller firings. and also lower it down a little farther if I
don't need the depth/height.

I was given an 18" old (50's maybe) ceramic kiln that I would like to use
for some glass and pottery as well. It just basically a 3 position switch
which controls the 2 elements. I can't find any info on it. but I was
wondering what was available as far as kiln programmers are available.

I have 3 old dos and win98 machines and was wondering if anyone ever tried
to use a PC as a kiln controller? ...... and what else would be needed.
Are there any resources (websites, books, etc) that tackle this sort of
thing?

Thanks,
Byrd

A PC is not reliable for controlling a kiln. An industrial grade
temperature controller with ramp/soak functions is what you need. Add a
solid state relay, a thermocouple, a mechanical contactor, and some wire
and you have a good controller. $300.

I built my own 3'x5'x1' bell kiln for $2200 including the controller.

http://tinyurl.com/29bdav

The best website for glass kiln working is www.warmglass.com

Good luck,

Jack