Old July 4th 05, 11:44 AM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:22:35 GMT, "B. Peg"
wrote:

I have a bunch of 3/4" wide nylon strap webbing and D-rings to attach to the
ends of them.

You might sew a box, or you might find that a couple of parallel
bartacks across the webbing are easier - if you have a machine with
zigzags.

For my machines, I find that either reducing the presser foot pressure
(the big machine) or even sewing with the foot up (the little machine)
is helpful. On the small Pfaff with the top feed foot I _must_
disconnect this. Feed is still pretty marginal, so it requires some
hand assistance to feed it through, maybe even dropping the feed dogs
(darning mode) altogether.

Once you've made one pass with a bar tack, then going back and forth is
easy. The surface is smoothed out and the webbing is compressed by the
first stitches.

As to the stitch formation then I find no trouble sewing nylon webbing
with heavy polyester thread - it's all slippery. Sewing canvas webbing
though, I need to increase the top tension.

I don't bother with changing needle - the needle I used to sew the bag
(probably quite hefty Cordura) manages pretty well. A jeans needle is
the right thing though.