Old July 4th 05, 06:08 AM
Michael Daly

On 3-Jul-2005, "B. Peg" wrote:

How does one get the machine to do this? The sewing machine's drive feet
don't like the nylon webbing strap material as it is fairly open weave so
the stitches come out all messed up (lots of tangles and lousy thread
pattern).

Use a good quality 100% polyester thread and a 14 or a jeans needle.

Make sure the tension is right. Webbing can require more tension than most
fabrics and if it isn't right, you can get tangles and uneven stitches. In
particular, the lower thread tension is important. I find I've got to get
the bobbin tension quite high to work with these kinds of materials.

I don't know why you'd have a problem with the feet - those usually aren't
a problem.

I usually use three overlying zigzag stitches as a kind of bar tack. I use
a 1mm, 3mm and 5mm wide stitch. Stitch length is about 1mm for all three.

Two parallel lines of these stitches are all I ever need for any strength
of webbing and widget I've ever sewn. No failures yet.

Mike