Old December 28th 03, 02:57 PM
Jayzor

Umberto Ramirez wrote:

Does the clay change color (get lighter, darker, etc.) if it is baked
properly? Will sunlight fade clay or make it brittle/dry it out?

Some clays change a bit during the baking process, mostly they go a
smidgen darker. A lot depends upon the brand and the color. I'd say
that I generally have no problems with this. I'm not sure about fading
in sunlight.

What is a good mold release (I was thinking maybe cornstarch?,
armorall?, wax paper? plastic wrap?)?

Corn starch is good. Another item that works beautifully: Armor-all.
You can find this in most department stores in the automotive section.

Is there anything about working with clay that can be harmful to pets?

I can speak to issues regarding birds, but dogs and cats, yest.

It is not good for people to eat polymer, so I suspect pets shouldn't
eat it either. I have a very stupid cat that eats anything, but he has
not eaten clay. I guess he doesn't like the smell...

Fumes from burning clay are also bad for humans, so I suspect that you
don't want pets exposed to these either.

Does the clay stick to itself before baking, or I do I need an adhesive?

Generally, two pieces of raw clay adhere to each other if you apply a
small amount of pressure. If you adhere baked to unbaked, or if you
want to be doubly sure they stay together, you can apply a bit of the
lquid polymer clay as a "glue."

What adhesives will (or will not) work in attaching paper or other
materials after baking? Will self-adhesive laminates stick to baked
clay?

There are some special transfer/decal papers on the market that can be
run through copiers and printers. Most people apply these to raw clay,
but maybe it would work on baked clay, I do not know. You can also
apply transfers directly from a many copiers directly onto raw clay with
alcohol. Maybe someone else can help with the self-adhesives...and
specifically with baked clay questions.

jayne