Old May 6th 11, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kirsten Watson

Default knitting socks

In article ,
Jennym wrote:
Hello all

I'm trying to teach myself how to knit socks and I'm getting on all
right (once I figured out that when knitting in the round stocking
stitch you just keep on knitting and it's fine). I just wondered about
wool types. Currently I'm using DK. Would knitting in 4-ply be worth
all the extra time? I'm quite enjoying ploughing through with
"thick" wool.

It depends on what your shoes are like. I quite like thicker socks, but
some of my shoes won't go over them.

Also, some of the specific sock
yarns are really nice, reinforced with nylon for strength, and pretty
colours, so that's worth the effort, and antibacterial chemicals
(there's one which is infused with horse chestnut juice for
antibacterial properties, for example).

You don't get the same sense of a quick fix that you would from
knitting socks out of a thicker yarn though - as one of my friends is
keen to point out, a pair of 4ply socks usually takes about as many
stitches as a sweater.

Also, any recommendations for good sock yarn?

I love Socks that Rock but it is very expensive. I also enjoyed
working
with Schoeller & Stahl Fortissima Socka - and it washes well. It's what
I used for the skirt in this pictu
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3450/...8e8fac36_z.jpg

Thank you (shame about all the spam on here recently)

Indeed. I remember when this was one of the more active groups, and
definitely it's still one of the most friendly. Then the spam just
didn't seem as bad (I think maybe there was less as well?)

Kirsten