Old September 15th 03, 04:44 PM
Bruce on Earthlink

I am one of those people that like to let the glaze sit over night. I usely
measure the specific gravity of my glazes right after mixing them as with
some glazes it changes enough over night for me to make an adjustment to the
sp. I guess it depends on how fussey one is about the consistancy. I do a
lot of layering of glazes and I want control on the thickness of the glaze.
I also like to make sure I don't have too much floculation. Sometimes if I
add something to decrease the floculation it takes some time to take effect
minutes, hours or overnight I am not sure.

Bruce Michaels

"Dewitt" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:35:21 -0400, Doug Porter
wrote:

Why does glaze have to sit for 24 hours after being mixed? My husband
asked me this question and I didn't have an answer for him (besides
"that's what I was told to do").
LMac

Don't you hate when your husband ask silly question? Who is he to
question your teacher? :-)

Truth is, there is no reason you have to do this. Sitting over night
may change the glaze consistancy and viscosity if the materials used
are somewhat soluble (e.g. gerstley borate), but there is no rule that
you have let glazes sit overnight. Mix the glaze well and sieve, and
it should be fine to use immediately.

deg