Old February 18th 04, 03:36 PM
Stella Fenley

here is a site for differnt kinds of socks
http://www.homestead.com/knittingfun/sockpatterns.html
Stella
"Sarah Carter" wrote in message
Johanna Koski wrote in message

Wow. I didn't know that "Saamelaiset" are called Sami in English. That
can't
be true.. Sami is a boy's name in Finland and it's very common too! I
checked
my dictionary and atleast "saamenkieli" the language they talk is
saamish...

Perhaps that is why I haven't found anything when I have looked for the
patterns on the internet then! )

I think I found the work Sami in tourist guide of Lapland as that is where
we were originally meant to go on holiday to. In the end we went to Tampere
which was lovely.

I tried to buy some traditional Finnish mittens in Finland, but I didn't

realise that
shops shut on a Monday in Finland, so missed them when we went to buy

them
on our last day there.

Well, traditionally, all shops close every day But you probably ment
that
they were closed on Monday. Museums are closed on Monday, but not shops.
Sunday
is the day when almost every shop is closed.

That's what I thought too. We went to have a last look at the mittens I
decided I
might like to buy on Monday moring before we came home and they were closed.
It was a small craftworkers shop and our friends who took us to the airport
said that
Monday is sometimes half day closing. Here in England, smaller shops
somtimes
close on Wednesday or Thursday afternoons.

They seem to have a detailed intarsia pattern in a traditional Finnish

style.
The ones I've seen are knitted in a thick wool dyed in natural colours.
Maybe a Aran weight, and looked homespun too.

I have a book from library where is several patterns for mittens, but
they aren't
typical Middle- or NorthFinland style. More like EastFinland and
Karelia.

I'll try to find some patterns for their knittings..

Thankyou. My husband who speaks some Finnish has been gelping me out
looking for some patterns, however we have managed to find a picture at
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg which
is quite close to what I was thinking of if that is any help?

Thankyou also for the help with the words "Saamelaiset", saamenkieli" and
saamish... That will be very helpful )

Sarah