Old October 28th 05, 06:26 PM
Cheryl

Default Q: Greasy Glass

Your mother's paperweight is devitrifying --
this is a chemical breakdown of the glass...

Crizzling - Crisseling, This is a glass disease, sickness. Chemical
deterioration of glass is referred to as weeping, sweating, sick, or
diseased. It is mainly due to the presence of excess alkalis in the
glass reacting to moisture in the atmosphere, forming alkaline
condensation, or tears, on the glass surface and creates a fissuring to
the glass in fine gleaming lines, like small cracks, and surface
dulling.

Probably the source of Aronelle's problem also -
try washing it with a mild "acid" to counteract the alkali -- like
vinegar - then rinse with distilled water.
there is NO KNOWN permanent cure for sick glass.
Cheryl
Laura Dawson wrote:
Is the hazy bloom like a sweat? Can you wipe it off?
My mom has a glass paperweight that when it's confined in her curio
cabinet it develops a hazy sweat, it doesn't run off like when you have
a cold drink on a hot day but you can wipe it off and it has a vinegar
smell to it. I have been looking on the internet to see why this
happens but haven't found anything on it yet.

Laura