Old December 7th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Sally Holmes

Default spinning wheels

Jacquie Joyce wrote:
Hi All
I was wondering if someone can help me. I am a knitwear designer/producer
and I have been asked to produce some designs with alpaca yarn. The lady who
has asked me has her own alpacas and would dearly like to have the yarn hand
spun. I have never ever done spinning in my life but would love to have a
go. I have not got a clue where to begin or anything. Can anyone help me
please.

Jacquie, as well as the Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers, if you
haven't bought by next June go to Woolfest,
http://www.woolfest.co.uk/. There will be lots of suppliers there and
you can try out all the wheels and spindles.

We bought my daughter's wheel from P&M Woolcraft in Milton Keynes,
phone 01908 510277. They used to have a website,
www.pmwoolcraft.co.uk, but it doesn't seem to be working now. They
were very helpful and let her try lots of wheels, and she ended up
with the Majacraft Little Gem. It's a very neat design that appeals to
the engineer in me. Most importantly, the orifice is high enough for
her - she's very tall and lower wheels gave her backache.

Wingham Wool Works, near Barnsley, are our local spinning supplier but
they don't stock Majacraft and they're so unfriendly as to be obnoxious.

HTH

Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"