Old July 16th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles/Marianne

Default Kiln God?

Hi Donna!

"D Kat" wrote in message
I really, really don't think having a pot blow up in the kiln is in anyway
a good sacrifice - in fact, I would consider it an insult to the gods. I
piece of cookie I could understand...

Yeah - I think you are right about exploding pots. I wasn't thinking very
straight.

I have seen every sort of kiln god you can imagine. One of the studio's
is a fat naked lady with a big grin on her face. Mine is a dragon - a
rather tiny one but I like him.

Do you put the god in the kiln or on top of it during firing?

I have never seen or heard of a sacrifice being made other than pouring a
bit of plum wine on the god during a group potluck firing and I'm not all
that sure the pour was intended as a sacrifice...

Hehe! A splash of alchohol is more a baptism than a sacrifice, maybe.

You might find this fun -

http://www.skutt.com/peepholeplug/pe...ggallery2.html

That was really cool! Sadly, I now have a kiln where I am not supposed to
close the peep-hole! Still .- if the god can be on the outside of the kiln,
I could make one that sits on the edge of the lid.

Now to get some ideas! :-D

Marianne