Old February 6th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Default focus? Medallion quilts

Roberta, try starting with a rectangle instead - my most favourite idea
for the future is an oval mariner's Compass, within a rectangle as the
centrepiece. Then the blocks in rows around. Ginny Beyer's out of
print design book gives a massive amount of design help for medallion
quilts. I have done a miniature medallion - that was fun.
..

In message , Roberta
writes
I like medallions, because it's a good way to use a big square piece
that's too small for very much else, without making a lot more of the
same. My only problem is a slight aversion to square quilts. (Beds are
usually oblong! And I don't have that much wall space left.) So I
experiment a lot with ways to make extra rows of blocks look like they
belong there :-)

Among the most gorgeous medallions IMO are Ricky Tims's rhapsody
quilts. how would one go about making those oblong? Must be a way to
sort of stretch the curves along the sides...
Roberta in D

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:34:14 -0800, "Taria"
wrote:

Someone used to do a 'focus on' msg. here once in awhile. Go over and
google image 'medallion quilt'.
What a lot of beautiful quilts to behold. Do you guys make many of these?
I think I have made at least a few over the years.
Taria

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green