Old August 19th 05, 01:20 AM
Cheryl

I have two distinct quilt-making styles. One is for classes when I know I
am being watched, and the other is for me when I am alone. Don't ask me how
but over the years I have developed the habit of switching between the two
without even thinking about it.

On bad habits - as long as someone is not a physical threat to themselve,
other quilters or their quilts - I will let them go at it however they are
comfortable. They are warned about posture, backache, blunting tools, etc
of course, and shown the traditional methods and sometimes my own variation.
But if they really want to do things their own wat why shouldn't they?
That's how new and better methods are developed. They might even teach me a
thing or two. Most of them settle into pretty "normal" habits quickly but
not forcing them seems to work better.

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

catsatararat (YAHOO msgr)

A large number of electrons were
terribly inconvenienced to send this -
at least read it.

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been making all types of quilts for almost twenty years as well as
having taught quilting classes for about 6-7 years in the mid-90s till
our local fabric store went out of business. I've found that I need to
techniques. I *know* how to do it, but I find sometimes I wander off
the path and develop bad habits and/or get sloppy (mostly in my cutting
and safety practices with the rotary cutter). If my basic skills
aren't excellent my more advanced skills will suffer since I don't have
a strong foundation to build on. Also, new and better methods and
tools are being developed every day and I need to keep up with the
advances being made in our craft.

Do you find yourself getting in a rut or complacent and needing to
un-learn bad habits and re-learn correct basic techinques?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.