Old September 19th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

Default Is It Safe To Write On Copper and Silver

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:19:15 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry ChristopherL
wrote:

Hello again, I own both copper and silver jewelry. Will I harm
anything if I write on them with a Sharpe magic marker.

Other than putting ugly black marks on it, it does nothing to the metal.

What do I do
to make the writing last forever. Is there a better marker than
Sharpe?

Sharpie is about as good as any other permanent marker. Nothing lasts forever.
Covering over it with clear nail polish or some other lacquer or the like would
make it wear off more slowly. If you want true permanence, then no simple
marker will do it. You'd have to actually engrave it or scribe it (an actual
physical mark that's a scratch, not a surface ink). Vibro-gravers or other
scribing tools are sold for such purposes. Even those marks might not last
forever if the jewelry is physically worn so the metal wears away, but it would
be pretty good, especially if the marks are on a recessed/protected area.

Will a combination of magic marker and anti-tarnish paper from
www.riogrande.com or Hagarty cause the jewelry harm.

No.

Thank you,
Chris