Old July 10th 05, 06:45 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:38:36 -0700, in ¤õ Rick Cook
wrote:

Let me ask another question about 'white golds'.

How easy is it to solder white gold to yellow gold? The discussion got
me thinking of a design using a yellow gold base with white gold
decoration soldered on.

Easy to do. Both yellow gold solders or white gold solders can be used. The
decision is mostly one of which color solder will better fit the design needs.

I'm thinking here of a true white gold or even a high-nickle gold alloy
since the white gold wouldn't be resting in constant contact with the skin.

Um. So just what do you consider "true" white gold? Do please remember that
there is no pure gold that is anything other than bright yellow when in it's
normal massive metallic form as we use it.. All white gold alloys are mixes of
yellow gold with other metals, usually either using nickle or palladium to
"bleach" out the yellow color to an acceptable degree of whiteness. So what do
you consider "true"?

I'm reminded of one only somewhat humerous interchange with a customer once, who'd
been told by some ignorant mall store sales girl, or perhaps it was from some home
shopping channel thing on TV (don't recall which) , that white gold came from a
different type of gold mine than yellow gold... No amount of careful discussion
or detailed explanation of alloying could convince this woman that white gold was
an alloy of ordinary and usual yellow gold with other metals to make it white.

Peter