Old March 9th 05, 12:39 PM
Beadbimbo

Thanks Arondelle! You gave me a lot of helpful information!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com
"Arondelle" wrote in message
Beadbimbo wrote:
I know what Delicas are, but I don't know anything about any other Myuki
beads. Are all Myukis really consistant in size, like the delicas are?

Myuki Shoji manufactures a number of sizes, shapes and styles of seed
beads. Off the top of my head, I'd say that any seed beads manufactured
in Japan are more likely to be uniform than, say, the same type
manufactured in the Czech Republic, which are way more uniform than beads
manufactured in India.

The 15/0's I get from FMG are Myukis, and they are very uniform. On the
other hand, they're so teensy it would be hard to tell if they weren't.

I get Dyna-Mites by Matsuno, which are "round" seed beads (ie., not as
squared-off and straight-sided as Delicas, but not round round, either),
and they are reasonably uniform. I don't have to do too much culling and
they're reasonably priced.

Czech seed beads need a lot of culling. I don't use beads made in India
for bead weaving at all.

It's gotten to the point where I can tell a seed bead's national origin
just by looking at its shape vis-a-vis the style it's supposed to be. If I
have a color that I want to use, but I know that the beads are not going
to be perfectly uniform, I adjust my work accordingly by alternating "fat"
beads and "thin" beads in a row. There are also instances when having fat
beads and thin beads is useful, such as for doing beaded beads where you
have to increase and decrease the number of beads in a row.

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net