Old July 15th 03, 03:39 PM
Sonya Cirillo

FYI - she is NOT talking about PECTIN - pectin is the substance that
causes thickening - for making jam and jelly. . . to keep fruit from
oxidizing you add citric acid - around here it can be had at most
grocery stores in a powder form - virtually tasteless to add to canned
fruits. . . or you can add lemon juice or lime juice or when making
fruit salad - mandarin oranges with juice or pineapple

Sonya Cirillo

Bonjour Voisins wrote:
In article , says...

Since most of the fading/browning is due to oxidation, I wonder if
dipping the flowers in a dilute citric acid solution, such as is used to
keep fruit from turning brown when canning it, might help. It might be
worth a try.

I presume you're referring to PECTIN when
you say "dilute citric acid solution?"
If not, it's PECTIN that is most commonly
used in canning, I think, and it is derived
from non-citrus fruits, as far as I know.
Apples, for example, are very high in pectin.

One popular brand of pectin is CERTO. And
BALL (canning bottle people) sell it under
their BALL brand. And there are others.