Old August 22nd 05, 01:58 PM
GaryR52

I haven't tried it yet, myself, but plan on doing so. Alternatively, another
sculptor I know uses pourable polyuerthane kits to make his own foam, which
he casts in a trash bag. It gives him a fairly good sized blob of foam to
carve, which lends itself well to the curvilinear forms he does. I'm
thinking that might be the better alternative for me, as it's far cheaper
than buying factory cast/extruded blocks.

Gary

"Patrick" wrote in message
Interesting stuff from General Plastics, I came across the same question a
while back. I ordered some of various densities to do some experimenting
with. The lighter of the stuff was a little too porous for me, but might
be fine for others. The middle range was just sweet! Carved like firm
Basswood and was stiff enough to carve a chain out of it (1/2 - 3/4"
square). It can be made to be 12" thick in 4x8 sheets, plus you can
laminate it to be thicker. I will be bringing it in for my own company in
the future for resale to schools/carvers who need larger stock that will
not warp or be effected by temperatures or climate conditions. Sign
makers use this stuff btw. One mans opinion . . . interesting stuff and I
like it.

The heavier grade stuff is really dense and holds the most minute detail.

Patrick

"GaryR52" wrote in message
newsaeFe.6170$Zt.5299@okepread05...
Try Last-A-Foam, from General Plastics
(http://www.generalplastics.com/produ...il.php?pid=19&).
It's relatively inexpensive, comes in various sizes and densities, and
can be laminated together to form larger blocks.

Gary

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
Has anyone carved this stuff? I ran across a sign-maker on the web who
uses it extensively for hand-carved outdoor signs.

See:
http://www.danthoniadesigns.com/dd/u...ource=LeftMenu

It looks like it would be cheaper and more stable than wood outdoors and
they're working it with hand tools.

--RC