Old October 3rd 03, 11:50 PM
Claire

My first husband was in the British Army and there were a few things that he
always asked for when he was away (which he was for almost half of our
marriage) - even though he took a stock with him, they'd eventually run out
and supplies were always harder to come by the further away from the main
base they were. Mostly he wanted really thick socks (not to wear under his
boots but to wear at night - feet get cold even if the temperatures don't go
that low and army blankets never seemed to be long enough for the taller
soldiers! Boiled hard sweets (that won't melt) and are individually
wrapped - a couple of packs of those were always appreciated. Writing paper
to write home, with envelopes- something they always ran out of and always
loaned to friends so eventually they all ran out! And definitely something
to read! He once took a handful of Readers Digests for the journey that his
mother gave him- short pieces of writing are easier if the lighting is
variable or there are likely to be periods of inactivity - he told me that
they were passed around the platoon until they fell apart. A pack of playing
cards to pass the time, and socks, socks and more socks (depending on where
they are, laundry can be difficult and if they are damp and sweaty then a
clean dry pair can really cheer you up!) For some reason non-regulation
socks always got lost. Maybe because one regulation sock looks much like
another so it doesn't matter if it goes walkabout. He'd always come home
with one of each pair of socks that I'd sent. And like someone else said,
they have to be able to take a pounding when it comes to washing so the
treat-delicately stuff won't last long. Toiletries were always needed -
especially shaving soap (in bar form, not aerosols) and disposable razors.
Mostly what he loved was to be sent a large tinned fruitcake but I guess
that would be difficult to send to the chaps in Iraq. I sent mine all over
the world courtesy of the British Army as the wives could often get a big
box sent out collectively. Mostly what they want is letters though- even
from someone they have never met. It's awfully lonely out there and so many
of them don't have family or friends who write very often. Just a chatty
letter talking about what is going on back at home (wherever home is for
you) can make them feel like someone somewhere gives a damn.

Claire

"Allaya Diep" wrote in message
Hi everybody!

In addition to our upcoming new arrival, my husband and I decided to take

in
another life form into our family...a US Soldier in Afghanistan! DH's
company has enrolled in the Adopt-A-Soldier program where company

employees
send personal care packages to soldiers in the Mid-East.

At any rate, I was wondering if anybody here had any loved ones serving

our
country overseas, and if you could give me any suggestions as to things

that
might be useful or enjoyed (we have a list of some suggestions, but I was
just wondering).

Also, I noticed on the weather forecasts that Afghanistan is getting a
little chilly at night...do any of you know if caps, gloves, quilts, etc.
are needed? I can't imagine that the military would let their boys go

cold
at night, but I imagine it would be nice to have a cooshy quilt or

something
to come back to.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. We send out packages every

month,
so if any of you are interested in throwing in an item or two, please let

me
know! I hope to hear back from our guy soon, so maybe he can offer more
info on the subject as well (I think any article of clothing in black is
safe).

Thanks for your help!
Allaya

Links to C-Company pictures: