Old March 1st 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Default Continental Style knitting

L wrote:
I KNOW 'continental style' knitting (where the yarn is held in the left
hand, as in crochet) is faster than 'American style' (where you hold the
yarn in your right hand and 'throw' it over the needle). I've seen the
video's.

But, oh, the learning!

With a niece and a nephew each expecting an addition to their families,
I figured a baby blanket would be the perfect way to learn this new (to
me) method. I chose one that was primarily garter stitch (re-learn one
stitch at a time!). I find it much slower than my 'throw' method because
the movements are new. And, each time I pick it up, I find myself
'reverting' to my old method out of habit!

So, I will try and persevere, because I have so many knitted projects in
my head right now I could certainly use a faster way to knit.

Lisa in NJ

Lisa,

I have knitted for 28 years. I have been knitting continental for about
15 years. I found that eventually it became a lot faster than the
English method. It did take a while.

Dennis