Old March 1st 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
lucille

Default Continental Style knitting

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
suzee wrote:
L wrote:

I KNOW 'continental style' knitting (where the yarn is held in the left
hand, as in crochet) is faster than 'American style' (where you hold the
yarn in your right hand and 'throw' it over the needle). I've seen the
video's.

Not necessarily!

With a niece and a nephew each expecting an addition to their families,
I figured a baby blanket would be the perfect way to learn this new (to
me) method. I chose one that was primarily garter stitch (re-learn one
stitch at a time!). I find it much slower than my 'throw' method because
the movements are new. And, each time I pick it up, I find myself
'reverting' to my old method out of habit!

So, I will try and persevere, because I have so many knitted projects in
my head right now I could certainly use a faster way to knit.

Check youtube for different ways `throwers' knit; you'll find that many
of them don't throw. Here's a few to get you started, the first one is
similar to how I knit, and also read the comments -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCO8qALs4-w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xSRqavicgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeTmm_EwZq0

sue

I knit very much faster in English style, but then, that's how I was
taught as a little girl in England. What is not shown, and what
contributes a lot to my speed, is the fact that I use 14" straight
needles, with the right needle held firmly in my right armpit, leaving the
fingers of my right hand free to manipulate the yarn. So, with that
needle stable, I can use a sort of combination of the "i'm a thrower" and
"I'm a flicker" styles.

When I discovered circular needles, I had to switch to Continental stitch,
but as I am holding both needles then, I am not nearly so fast. However,
if I am knitting on a plane where I don't want to jab my seatmate with the
needles, Continental style is necessary! Also, it is amazing how many
stitches you can cram onto a 14" straight - I once knit a triangular shawl
on them - but for some very wide projects, long circs are just more
convenient.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

I knit very fast using Continental and English style slows me down to a
crawl. I think it's all in the way you learned as a kid.