Old July 12th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SlimmerCat

Default Favorite Fabrics for costumes/clothing?

I'm sixteen, and a huge nerd for the local Renaissance Faire, so last
summer I taught myself how to sew on my grandmother's ancient Bernina so I
could make my own costumes. I've since then bought a machine and now I
costume just about all the time, but I still know next to nothing about
fabrics. I'm awful at picking out fabrics-- even when I'm in the store,
feeling it between my fingers, the fabrics I choose tend to act the exact
opposite of what I thought they would while I was in the store. Cotton's
about the only fabric I feel works for everything! (Oh Cotton, you're my
BFF)

The only fabrics I know by name/touch/appearance are brocade, jacquard,
and cotton (along with the general "knit" category). I'd love to know
better how different fibers behave so that I might be able to order
fabrics online instead of having to go down to the local Joann's or Hobby
Lobby to find what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have some wisdom to share? Things like what different fabrics
or fibers feel like and how they breathe, wrinkle, wick, stretch, all
that; or any favorite types of fabric that you especially like to use in
garments.

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3873 messages and counting!