Old May 10th 05, 07:43 AM
Abrasha

Andrew Werby wrote:

[Want to bet?

No. However your reply seems to indicate your need to be right by trying to
bluff me into a bet.

So I challenge you to produce the helix, the original poster asked about, on
your mighty Taig mill. I say, it can't be done. Go ahead, prove me wrong.
You've got the Taig. If you succeed, (which I know you won't), you have a
strong selling point. If I am not mistaken, you are after all trying to sell
these things, which seems to make you a bit biased. I find that rather amusing.

Don't get me wrong. The Taig is a very valid and verstile tool and a useful one
at that. And it cannot do what the original poster asked. You can try to bluff
me all you want, it can't be done. You can't do it.

Taig recently started providing a bigger motor with their
mills than previously. The 1/4 hp Franklin motor now standard would have no
problem cutting a 2mm groove in a piece of silver - or a piece of steel, for
that matter, in one pass, if one went at an appropriate speed using a 2mm
2-flute cutter.

We weren't talking about a groove. We were talking about a helix! That's what
the original poster wanted. Something very different.

However, you claim that the Taig, does a 2 mm depth of cut cut in steel, on a 15
mm diameter (original poster's measurement) in one pass? Prove it!

SNIP

Have you ever actually used one of these mills?]

No, I have no need to. I have a real mill, with a 3/4 HP, 3 phase motor.
Actually, it is a rather wimpy mill as far as true power is concerned. I'm
ready for something more powerful, like a Bridgeport.

But a Taig, gimme a break, why would I ever want to use one of those when I have
a Clausing 8520?

Now go and make that helix, you claim you can make on it. I say, you can't do it!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com