Old August 31st 03, 03:06 AM
Lucille

But Baking Soda will work. I used boiling water, baking soda and tin foil
with great success.
Lucille

wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 01:42:55 +0100, "Pat Porter"
wrote:

The soda crystals that used to be used to soften the water - like broken
bits of glass? Not often used these days, but I always keep a packet

under
the sink - good for wetting and rubbing on stings and bites! Like

bathsalts
without the colour and perfume, only much coarser. Phew!

Maybe you don`t get it over there - maybe it`s too old fashioned for you
folks! Maybe it`s just our common language letting us down again! I`d be
interested to know what you DO call it - do you know, Sheena? Being an
immigrant, you should do! Now don`t YOU go all sensitive on me for

calling
you an immigrant!

Pat P.

My hackles were instantly rising but then I thought, no, I am proud to
be an immigrant. You just got born in England, they had to have you,
whereas I asked Canada if they would take me and they elected to do
so! Pick the bones out of that lot you GOW you !

It's definitely not baking soda, I know exactly what you mean, and I
have never seen it over here. I think we need a chemist and there are
at least a couple around rctn. What about Jim, he would know both
what we are talking about and possibly the chemical equivalent here?

Sheena

"Lynn Hansen" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pat Porter" wrote:

Yes that`s right - aluminium foil, as we call it. The stuff that

comes
in
rolls, for wrapping the turkey in, etc! Just scrunch it up a bit, and

put it
in a bowl. Large handful of washing soda, boiling water to cover and

watch
it fizz! Looks quite scary, but it`s fine.

Next question from a silly American:
What's "washing soda"?

Lynn