Old November 10th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Leah

Default Brother 930 lace tips?

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 02:30:43 -0800, wrote:

Hi Marge,

Two things I would try - tighten the tension up at least 2 numbers (I
get great lace with T:7 or 8 with 2/24 yarn) and then make sure the
face of the little magnet is cleaned off. I had that happen to me a
couple of times and someone recommended cleaning the magnet and it
seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about the magnet, and I'll
keep it in mind if I have problems in the future.

I did finally figure out the problem by knitting in extremely slow
motion. My tension mast had a loose screw on the front yarn loop
holder (I don't know the technical name), and it only occasionally
caused very slightly larger loops on the LHS of the bed end sts when
using the K carriage, which jammed the L carriage when I tried to run
it across from left to right. Since I had to cut the work off to free
up the L carriage on jams, I couldn't see the problem on the removed
swatches. I fixed the problem by doing what I do on my Bond, manually
pull up the yarn on the LHS until the needles caught the yarn when
using the K carriage, and it worked just fine after. Also, using
Crystal Palace Kid Merino (a lace-weight slightly hairy yarn), I found
that putting the L carriage on the fine lace setting (for a "normal
lace pattern"), and inserting the fine knitting bar that came with my
ribber helped the sts knit cleanly.

Leah