Old April 5th 05, 02:52 AM
mbstevens

Charlie wrote:

I give up! I can only find this stuff from one place
and they want to sell
me a kilo at a time (at £101 for the privilege)! I only
need a cup or two for now just to see how this etching
silver thing works and hopefully make a few birthday and
Christmas presents!

Can anyone shed some light on a good UK supplier that

chuckle
That's just the nature of the business everywhere.

There's a place down the road from me that would be happy
to sell me some sulphuric acid -- in one of those
waist-high drums. If I want a reasonable amount for
pickling jewelry, I have to drive into town and then to
the other side. And I'll be paying a huge mark up. The
same goes for having it shipped in.

will sell me just a little and not try and rip me off?

Most pure chemicals are nasty and expensive to handle.
The suppliers of small amounts are earning their keep,
IMO.

If you can't find a small amount of ferric, I suggest the
cheaper nitric acid. Spend a fraction of the leftover
savings on safety glasses, a rubber apron, and chemical
gloves. Nitric etches very nicely, indeed, and can be
used for bright dip, to boot.
--
mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com