Old November 7th 04, 06:07 AM
Brad Sondahl

I think you'll need to get a book on glazes (or maybe a book like The Potter's
Alternative by Harry Davis or Pioneer Pottery by Michael Cardew about setting up a
pottery in Nigeria both available at Amazon), and you'll have to know what cone
(temp) you're firing to. For something like floor tile, if you didn't mind the
crazing, recycled glass could be useful glaze ingredient, even though it's only
used for special effects in typical glaze work. The glass could be heated in a
fire and dumped in water to shatter, and applied as a rough powder to the tiles, or
if ball milled, possibly mixed with local clay, or wood ash or other types of ash.
Few 1st world potters do enough with local glazes to be useful for you, and even if
they do, the local results don't necessarily transfer to other geography. Steve's
suggestion is a good one, though, everyone should try using their local clays as a
glaze sometimes.

Brad Sondahl
--
For original art, music, pottery, and literature, visit my homepage
http://sondahl.com

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my address.