Old July 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Herb

For whatever reasons, you've selected a scale which is very unusual.
You're not likely to find much, if anything at all, in that scale. What
are the materials that you feel point to a 1:8 scale? If it's the
building materials themselves, it might be better to fudge on the scale
of the building (the thickness of the walls and floors) in favor of
being able to furnish the interior easily.

There is (was?, may have been?) a model railroad scale, V-scale, that is
1:8. G-Scale (LGB trains) are about 1:20, so 1:8 would be more than
twice as big - enough for a small amusement park ride-on!

The following are the more commonly available dollhouse scales (roughly
in decreasing order of popularity and availability)
1:12 inch to the foot, AKA "1-inch"
1:24 "half-inch"
1:48 "quarter-inch"
1:144 "dollhouse in a dollhouse"
1:16 "three-quarter inch" - European such as Lundby and Brio (haven't
seen Brio items for quite a while, though)
1:6 "two-inch" - appropriate for 11-12" dolls, also known as "play
scale"
1:10 Some German - 1 centimeter to the decimeter.
1:96 "eighth-inch" used professionally for architectural models

And then there are the railroad scales
1:48 O and O27
1:87 HO (Half-O, but not exactly)
1:64 S (American Flyer)
1:160 N
1:220 Z

You mention "older stuff". If you look at antique dollhouses and
miniatures, you'll find a wide variation - much not really scaled well
at all, but still mostly near 1:12 scale.

- Herb

KAYAKFAN wrote:

I am a school teacher. I want to build a model house and because of materials
I use, a 1/8-scale is best. I wish to then "furnish" the house, but most
furniture I see is on a 1/12-scale.

I could change the scale, but hope that someone knows of a source of 1/8-inch
scale furniture and accessories. Maybe older stuff was on differernt scales.

If you do respond, please do so by E-MAIL to SENDER as I do not look at this
group much.

Mike Goodman
High Point, NC