Old July 3rd 03, 03:30 AM
Lucille

My curiosity got to me so I looked up holloware in Merriam Webster and came
up with the following definition:

One entry found for hollowware.

Main Entry: hol·low·ware
Variant(s): or hol·lo·ware /'hä-(")lO-"war, -"wer/
Function: noun
Date: 1682
: vessels (as bowls, cups, or vases) usually of pottery, glass, or metal
that have a significant depth and volume -- compare FLATWARE

I always thought Cheryl's explanation was the correct one but several places
I looked gave the one quoted above from Merriam Webster. Live and Learn.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

Lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/1/03 3:46 PM, in article , "Jenn

Vanderslice"
wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why all the lists of traditional and
modern anniversary gifts go up to 15 years and then in increments of 5
years?
I found one list that actually had the in between years...apparently,
16th anniversary is "Silver holloware"? What's holloware?

:-D

/J

Jenn - what a great day to pick! my DS birthday!
Cheryl
Can't help with the traditional gift, but hollow ware is light weight flat
wear, maybe silver plated. It is called hollow ware because the knife
(usually the heaviest piece) has no material in the handle - sometimes all
pieces are hollow. Light and fragile!
Cheryl

Attached Images