Old April 13th 17, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Just a Simple Patch Quilt

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 1:09:33 AM UTC+10, wrote:
Have been saving 4 inch, 3 1/2 inch, 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch squares for some time now. I take my left over pieces of material from my made quilts and cut them into what ever size squares the material allows. Right now I have only enough 4 inch squares to make a small quilt of mixed colors. I usually put a 2 1/2 inch inner border and 4 inch outer border. One of the problems I have had with these type squares is when sewn together in rows the corners do not always meet but off a tiny bit. So this time before sewing I went through every single square and made sure they were exactly 4 inches square. I know material will stretch while pressing, so will wait until the rows are all sewn together before doing that. If you can think of an easier way to do these type of quilts better please let me know. I am trying to be as careful sewing as I can.
Sandy$

Hi Sandy,

I used to have a problem with pressing the squares flat until my friend pointed out that I was actually ironing them instead of just pressing them. Does that make sense?
Now I just press/lift/press move on to next square instead of moving iron over the material.

Haven't tried a quilt with small squares but I certainly have enough small squares to try one - I bought a whole lot from a shop closing down without thinking about what to do with them.

Have a Safe and Happy Easter.

Cheers,
Di
On the beautiful Mornington Peninsula