Old March 7th 17, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Default Wonder Clips and other random stuff

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 11:37:43 PM UTC-5, Brian Christiansen wrote:
Sometime in the past, I suppose, I started making a pair of gi pants for
a martial arts class I was in at the time, which I did not finish (the
pants, not the martial arts class).

A few days ago, I found the pieces of it, 2 legs that had the inseam
sewn on each leg, but the legs had not yet been sewn together.

I suppose that I also started a gi top as well, but I did not find the
pieces for that.

Right now I am not in any sort of martial arts class, so there is real
point in finishing the pants, at least not for that purpose, but I have
some ideas as to what to do with the pieces:

1. Sew them together and install a drawstring or elastic (I suppose I
could be really fancy and put in drawstring elastic) and use them as
lounging/pajama pants.

2. If I undid the inseams, and cut the pieces into rectangles, the
rectangles would be quite large, ~2ftx3ft (60cmx90cm), which could make
some nice shopping bags (though I already have plenty of those) or a
nice laundry bag.

3. I can't really think of anything else, but I could take them apart,
make them into the rectangles and save them for some future use when I
have some specific need for white material.

I guess I don't really have any specific questions, but am just
soliciting comments on these things I am pondering.

I used to wear DH's old gi quite a lot. They are very comfy and of necessity allow a broad range of movement so that they are perfect for any number of activities. So I would finish the pants and probably make the top as well.
In fact I have several times over the past few years considered making a gi or something similar, as my current exercise program is limited to mild yoga and the ancient art silk weaving exercises. Clothes that allow such a range of movement would be perfect for that. I just haven't got around to it yet as I have been making a ton of cot quilts, rag dolls, other toys, and various winter outer wear, for the local DV shelter.

I would consider the fabric usually used in making a gi to be a bit light for shopping or laundry bags unless it were doubled.

The fabric could certainly be re-purposed for quilting or perhaps even other clothing. Bear in mind that white cotton does not have to stay white.

NightMist