Old November 6th 03, 08:23 AM
Patti

I have one of these, also. It was my Dad's - he used to do embroidery.
What Taria said about 'chest' is probably the reason why my Dad could
use it and I never can. Mine is sitting on a shelf, like Ruth's!!
Apart from the fact of its moving, you have got to keep your head in
exactly the same position to keep the handwork in focus. It is
difficult and annoying. I also think that, because it is plastic,
rather than glass, it is not that good.
I also have a magnifier + light as Polly described. You couldn't work
with it for long periods, because of the same focus issue; but it is
great for those tricky little moments (like unpicking!!!). I have taken
mine off the stand and use the clamp (that comes with it) to have it on
my sewing table.
Anywhere that sells aids for partially sighted people will have a really
good range of magnifiers. They will also be good quality, with a larger
'lens' part.
I'm in the UK too and I got all my magnifiers here.

In article , Gwandwad
writes
My wife has come to patchwork & quilting late in life and her eyes are not
as young as they used to be. She has heard of a glass that hangs by a cord
from the neck, rests on the chest and allows work in the lap to be viewed.
Can anyone point us to a source of supply?

We are in the UK and our son is in MA so sources on either side of the
Atlantic would be OK.

many thanks

Dick Bond

--