Old August 19th 05, 12:44 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hi Leslie,
Good question. When I've not done some thing in a while, I start
off by doing some practice bits. Some exercises I do include
making lone blocks. Lately I've found it advantageous to make a
few Hug Blocks, in assorted colors. I set those aside for Hug
requests. Pot holders are fun ways to practice. Sometimes I make
a house block or two, then quilt and bind them singly. House
blocks have straight and angled parts, so are good practice
blocks. A good way to practice MQ is to use some cheater fabric
to make quilts for teddy bears and dolls. I've made a few this
year and plan to donate them to the teddy bear project my local
service club does in December.
PAT in VA/USA

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
I've been making all types of quilts for almost twenty years as well as
having taught quilting classes for about 6-7 years in the mid-90s till
our local fabric store went out of business. I've found that I need to
techniques. I *know* how to do it, but I find sometimes I wander off
the path and develop bad habits and/or get sloppy (mostly in my cutting
and safety practices with the rotary cutter). If my basic skills
aren't excellent my more advanced skills will suffer since I don't have
a strong foundation to build on. Also, new and better methods and
tools are being developed every day and I need to keep up with the
advances being made in our craft.

Do you find yourself getting in a rut or complacent and needing to
un-learn bad habits and re-learn correct basic techinques?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.