Old December 6th 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Graver

Default Hand made earwires

On Nov 19, 11:29 am, Cognition Studios
wrote:
Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help me.

I would love to know to make earwires by hand. I recently purchased a
wigjig Delphi and it's fabulous! I am creating wires in exactly the
shape I require. However, it has taken much experimentation (and
money!) with wire gauges and different types (half hard/dead soft) to
achieve the style I have been after. I am very excited about it except
I cannot figure out how to hammer the wire without marking it! Help!

Does this just come with practice? I have a chasing hammer, a small
planishing block and a nylon hammer. I have been using 18-20 gauge
gold filled wire but it marks terribly when I try to hammer the end
and the curve that goes through the ear. Little nicks which I assume
is the edge of the hammer denting it. If I use the nylon hammer, it
doesn't flatten the wire and thats the look I would like. I have read
that it is still hardening it however.

I also am not sure what type of wire to use. Obviously, the dead soft
wire shapes like a dream but the half hard wire doesn't haold the
earwire shape so well. Should I exagerate the bend when using half
hard or should I be using dead soft and hammering? If I do not hammer
dead soft wire, is it a little unreliable in holding its shape for
earwires?

Any help and advice woul dbe gratefully recieved!!

Thanks!!! :-)

Hi,

Here's what I've been doing about my earwires. I purchased a spool of
anealed 304 stainless steel wire 20 gage. This works much better in
every way, 1. I take a piece about a foot long and put one end into my
bench vise, then I grab the other end with a pair of channel locks and
slowly pull the wire until I feel it stretch a little. This hardens
the wire, and works great on sterling silver or gold. This also makes
your wire stright as an arrow. 2. Stainless steel will never tarnish,
and it wears better then Platnium. 3. You can use lighter gage wire
with stainless and it will hold it's shape alot better then silver or
gold. Now you just have to get over the fact that it's not a precious
metal, but when it's polished you'll never question what it's made of
because it looks like white gold and is stronger and much cheaper. The
spool of stainless steel cost $10.00 on Ebay and I still have 3000
feet of wire after five years. GOOD DEAL!