Old August 9th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

Default OT Breast Cancer Rant

In article , Pati C. wrote:

And there are the people like DH and myself. We are currently (since
June) without health insurance. It was costing us more than our mortgage
payment. We tried to keep up the insurance, and let the mortgage go, now
we are out on both... sigh.

I'm so sorry, Patti!!! I know it's not much at all when it comes down
to it, but you're in my prayers - and I'm sending all the good vibes
and thoughts possible.

Insurance costs for us is over $1000 a month. We are currently trying to
get AHCCCS (the Arizona "Medicaid") but not sure we will either qualify
or be able to afford that. sigh.
So we are going without meds, and trying to cope. It isn't easy and
makes us both wish there were at least basic National health coverage
for everyone here in the states.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

See, I think there oughta be a law that caps premiums ... it's not fair
that a circumstance of fate or life would cost you so dearly - not in a
country that's supposedly so wonderful to live in.

Connie wrote:
In article , Anne Rogers
wrote:

Now, what I'm wondering is how it would handled in Europe? Hubby, on
his trip, just sprained his knee and had to go to a local hospital - he
said UK's healthcare system REALLY kicks our butt (in fact, he's
talking about either running for office and changing things or moving
there - but then, he IS on pain-killers). Will anyone from the UK pipe
up and let us know??
My mum had a lumpectomy, not a mastectomy, she was in hospital 8 days!!!
This was a private hospital, rather than NHS hospital in the UK, she'd
still have been in 4+ days on the NHS.

As with everything, somethings are better in the UK, some are worse,
I've lived 27 years in the UK, and only 1 in the US, with various
problems I've had at this particular time, the US system has treated me
well, we do have very good insurance, but even with less good insurance,
I likely still could have done pretty well, due to the element of
choice, something that in practice you don't get in the UK, or at least
don't get in some areas (both geographical and medical!).

On the other hand, whilst pregnancy and postnatal is underfunded and
understaffed, I'd still far rather be pregnant and have a baby in the UK
, I have American friends who've done both and prefer the UK system!

Cheers
Anne

Yea, I guess that would be the case - each system having it's pros and
cons. But still, no one in your system gets left out, right? I mean,
the single mom who barely keeps ends at arm's length will STILL have
healthcare, right? Her baby has less chance of dying of some childhood
illness merely because she couldn't afford vaccinations, right?

My point is, I guess, that with your system, even though the choices
are limited, everyone's covered. No one's left out. I used to volunteer
at local food kitchens and you'd be surprised at how many people are
left without healthcare ... more than you think. Most are kids.

What's most important to me - and I guess, because I DO have good
insurance and choices I might be skewed in my priorities - is that
single moms who can barely afford day care, much less food, can still
get healthcare for their babies. Little old ladies can still get
adequate healthcare - and not just dumped on a sidewalk after a
dangerous (and traumatizing) procedure.

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!