Old September 10th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Question about the Janome 6600

Patti wrote:
Mine isn't the 6600, Carissa, so I won't comment on that question (mine
is the 6500 and I love it!).
However, I do suggest you keep your existing machine, for taking to
classes or workshops if need be (these big Janomes are *heavy*) and also
for the free arm feature. I traded my previous machine in for the 6500,
without considering the need for that; and, in the end, I had to buy an
inexpensive machine to give me back-up, portability and a free arm feature.
.
In message hbdFi.32054$Pd4.537@edtnps82, Carissa
writes
Hello,

I am sooo very close to buying this machine. I really really really
want it
lol. But Before I spend all those $$ I want to hear from some
owners? Do
you love it? Why? If not why? Also, I on the rarest of occasions, make
clothes for my daughter (she is the only one still young enough to
appreciate hand made clothes... or maybe its just that I am not very good
lol) Anyhow, the sale people all rave about how wonderful it is for
quilting as well as other sewing, but it doesnt seem to have the part
that
detaches for sleeves. Does it? Will I miss it if it doesnt? I do make
boxers for my three boys and find that a useful function on my basic
machine. I could keep my basic machine for that feature,( a
detachable free
arm I think it is called) but the shop is willing to take it in trade
so....
What should I do? Follow my impulsive needs or???? help me please
Thank you

Carissa

Mine's the 6500 (last year's model?)too, but I kept my old machine - a
more basic Janome with a free arm. Glad I did because I have to alter a
pair of DH's trousers and they have a piece of extra tape around the
inside of the leg bottoms which will need reattaching with the free arm.

I just don't move my 6500 - too heavy and too afraid of damaging it, so
the old machine is proving really useful for classes, etc.

What I 'specially like about my 6500 - nice and quiet so I can hear over
it; big harp so easier quilting - I bless it every time I use it; the
knee lift which I forgot to attach this morning and then found my knee
waving around trying to operate the 'lift'; the needle up-down facility
and the fact that the needle can be put in different positions to the
left or right; separate section for bobbin widing; all the stitches - I
now embroider my quilt labels, and the fact that it is so solid.

Not biased really!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk