Old September 3rd 03, 10:30 AM
annemarie

"potty" wrote in message
In article ,
Dewitt wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:09:54 +0000 (UTC), Uncle John
wrote:

Once bisqued I cover it with manganses dioxide and rub it off. The

final
product has a real organic look and feel to it

I don't have any texturing ideas for you, but please be careful with
the manganese dioxide. Exposure to manganese fumes during firing
builds up over time and can result in Parkinson's disease-like
symptoms. I don't recall the name, but one well known potter is
believed to have died from this. Fire only in a well ventilated area.

deg

It was Hans Coper who died from amyothropic lateral sclerosis which was,
as you say, as a result of working with manganese - not only the firing
- he achieved beautiful effects by working back into manganese slips and
oxides, without a mask. At the same time, though, Lucie Rie, also a god
in the ceramic world, lived to the grand old age of 93; she worked
closely with Coper for many years, and used manganese also to a great
extent. I think you should stiil be able to find an article by jane
Watkins who suffers from Parkinsons on her experience as a probable
result of manganese poisoning - it's frightening but should be read. You
should find it at

http://www.digitalfire.com/education...ty/watkins.htm.

I've also used the hot air gun on the rim and it does work well. Got the
method from a descriptions of John lawson's method in Josie Warshaw's
Complete Practical Potter pushing out with a rounded end stick in
concentric spirals.

Pete

Yuk, I just bought some manganese the other day, will be very careful now,
thanks )