Old February 17th 14, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

Default How Can You Tell An Antique from A Copy?

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:01:20 -0800 (PST), Monica Ferris
wrote:

If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated 1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an interesting incident. Thanks!

I suspect that a microscope would show the difference between
cottonized linen and real linen.

Most of the real linen now available is antique, because nobody
bothers to design machinery for spinning linen when it's so easy to
chop it into short bits and spin it on cotton machinery.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/