Old July 26th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT- Finch feeders

I have been buying finch thistle for a few years now. I think it must
be sterile because it doesn't sprout around the feeding spot like other
bird seeds often do. Most of the fields in this part of the world are
covered with new stucco houses these days. : (

Jane, we have really enjoyed watching the finches on the socks. I got
mine at walmart but the fabric they are made of is around. When we
lived at our last house I had a small wall fountain and a finch sock
right out a bay window with a bench seat. It was the best spot in the
house. When the gal that ended up buying the house came to see
it she actually asked how we kept our birds from flying away. I guess
she thought they were pets or something. Feed them and they will come.

The cats have a lot of hours in watching also. Since they are inside
cats the birds are safe. We don't have raccoons here but my dad does.
They like to eat the neighbor's pond fish. They are pretty destructive
creatures.

We did have a thread hanging from one of our socks one finch got tangled
in. DH rescued the poor little thing and off he flew but I don't want
that to happen again.

Here is what they look like for anyone still reading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpLlVDVHvI
TAria

KJ wrote:
My brother in law the farmer dislikes birders putting thistle seeds in
feeders. It increases the likelihood of his fields having more thistles in
them. I usually just get different sizes of sunflower hearts.